Since last few years WordPress has become one of the most used dynamic Content Management System (CMS) and blogging platform on the internet.
As per Alexa WordPress is used to develop over 14.7% of a top million websites over the internet. There are over 70 million blogs hosted on WordPress.Com like; http://yourblog.wordpress.com.
Most bloggers over the internet at least had one sub-domain blog with WordPress.com or at least tried in one another way before they move to self-hosted WordPress blog.
The secret behind success and popularity of WordPress is; it’s free and an open source platform. You are free to use it as per your requirement and there is no restriction for customization.
There are hundreds of thousands developers registered in WordPress.Org forums where you can get free advice, help or even a fix for the problem you may have.
Using WordPress anyone can create a stunning websites and blogs without even a web design / development experience. There are hundreds of thousands of free and premium (paid) themes designed by various developers available on the internet that you can download and install to your blog in seconds.
The themes I mentioned below are developed by freelance developers and as well as professional theme developers. The professional theme developers develop theme and sell them.
Most premium themes are available in the form of frameworks, that helps designers to design his own theme using the theme framework or the core. The theme frameworks are expensive than a single theme but it gives an option to develop your own theme based on the framework. Also, you can earn money from the child themes you have created using the frameworks.
In this post I’m going to share some of the greatest top 10 WordPress theme frameworks for developers. This article is inspired by articles on different blogs. You can download them by paying the author and use it as your blog platform or start your own premium WordPress theme design start-up.
1. Thematic Theme Framework by ThemeShaper.com
Thematic is a free, open-source, highly extensible, search-engine optimized WordPress Theme Framework. This is developed by Ian Stewart. The framework and theme have 13 widget-ready areas, various grid-based layout samples, ease use of styling and plugins.
This theme is driven by community. If you are a beginner in WordPress theme development and this framework is for you. As its free and open-source you can download directly from WordPress website and start playing.
- Perfect to use as-is or as a blank WordPress theme for development
- Fully Search-Engine Optimized
- Extra widget-ready areas (13 in total) and more possible in your Child Theme
- Free and commercially supported Child Themes are available for upgrading the theme
- Includes a sample WordPress Child Theme for rapid development
- A wiki-editable guide to Thematic Customization
- Ready for WordPress plugins like Subscribe to Comments, WP-PageNavi, and Comment-license
- Fully compatible with All-In-One SEO and Platinum SEO plugins
- Multiple, easy to make, bulletproof layout options for 2, or 3 column designs
- Modular CSS with pre-packaged resets and basic typography
- Dynamic post and body classes make it a hyper-canvas for CSS artists
- Editable footer text—remove the theme credit without harming the theme
- Options for multi-author blogs
2.Thesis WordPress Theme Framework
The Thesis Theme framework is a premium template system for WordPress designed by Chris Pearson. Thesis is one of the most used WordPress Theme Framework. Thesis is designed to serve as the rock-solid foundation beneath any kind of website.
Over 37,534 people rely on the Thesis theme and its framework. The SEO, incredible design flexibility, and fast loading times are few abilities of thesis theme.
Some of the features of Thesis WordPress Theme Framework
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Faster page load times
- Maximum readability to engage and hold your reader’s attention
- Point-and-click design and font controls
3. WhiteBoard WordPress Theme Framework
The Whiteboard framework for WordPress is built to speed up the process of designing and developing a WordPress theme. Whiteboard does so by eliminating the time spent on a website’s generic div structure and WordPress’ back-end PHP that is common to all WordPress themes.
Whiteboard also includes non-intrusive code designed to improve the overall WordPress theme in many ways, including SEO, speed, usability, and mobility.
- Completely Free and Open Source
- Speeds up WordPress development time
- Built with Less Framework for aninstant mobile website
- Comes with a minimalist design to use or build off of
- The theme and Less Framework can be easily removed if desired for quick and easy theme development
- Strong and flexible div structure
- Basic styles and classes to speed up theme development
- Lightweight and well-noted
- Built with strong Search Engine Optimization
- More dynamic Classes and IDs than anyother WordPress framework
- Many awesome WordPress features such as manageable menus, background, and header image as well as featured images, several widget areas, and more
- Follows the Web Accessibility Initiative
- HTML5 with graceful degradation
- CSS3 Animations with graceful degradation
- Follows WordPress’ CSS Coding Standards
- Fully Compatible with WordPress 3.0 and up with fallback for older versions of WordPress
- Cross browser compatible
4.OnePress by: PushButton Labs
The OnePress Community theme framework is an integrated website and forum solution for WordPress. It is, simply, a WordPress theme to serve as the foundation and framework for your web site and online community.
Leveraging the powerful WordPress and phpBB projects, OnePress provides a set of features focused on helping you build and support your site from the inside out. With this set of tools, you can easily run your community and do so with professional presentation.
Key Features of OnePress WordPress Theme Framework
- Seamless integration with phpBB, complete with unified login and widgets to display forum posts on site.
- Widgetized WordPress layout with drag and drop interface to quickly build site.
- Professional featured content widgets to display important posts with prominence.
- Easy to use back-end enhancements for editing OnePress widget content.
- Highly optimized page rendering process for optimal performance.
- Built with WordPress 2.7 and child themes in mind. Flexible hook system for full theme customization.
5.Genesis Framework for WordPress by: StudioPress
Genesis Framework for WordPress Features:
The Genesis Framework for WordPress is one of the coolest and easy to manage WordPress core Framework.
If you will head over to the features page of the StudioPress website, you will see a list with the main benefits that Genesis offers you and why Genesis can actually be the foundation of your WordPress design.
SEO out of the box – It has advanced SEO settings out of the box. This means that you do not need to install other plugins to optimize for search engines.
Ready to use design with child themes – Once you get Genesis with a child theme, your can immediately start blogging without any further customizations. However, if you are looking to add some bits and pieces to the design, that can be done very easily.
Custom widgets – Genesis doesn’t offer widgets only for your sidebar, but allows you to add widgets on multiple areas of your website, such as the header, footer, featured posts, featured pages and much more.
Instant updates – If you think that updates are a pain, your are wrong. Unlike other WordPress Frameworks, Genesis offers you updates with a push of a button. And child themes will make sure that your design stays the same after the update without any other backups.
Enhanced security – Security expert and core WordPress developer, Mark Jaquith, ensures that Genesis provides great security and keeps you hacker free.